Physics Graduate Student Advocate
High-resolution spectroscopy and plasma diagnostics of Galactic and extragalactic cosmic X-ray sources; PI of the High Resolution Transmission Grating Spectrometer on NASA’s Chandra X-ray Observatory; studies of active stars, black-hole or neutron star binaries, supernova remnants, quasars and clusters of galaxies; X-ray sources as probes of inter-stellar and inter-galactic matter.
He received the BA, MA and Ph.D. in physics from Harvard University after which he came to MIT as a postdoctoral fellow and then joined the faculty. He has served as Director of the Center for Space Research, now the MIT-Kavli Institute, (1990-2001), Associate Provost (2001-2006), Vice President for Research & Associate Provost (2006-2013), and Vice President (2013-2015). He has served on numerous advisory committees including the NASA Advisory Council, the National Advisory Council on Innovation and Entrepreneurship of the Department of Commerce, and the Air Force Scientific Advisory Board, and chaired the National Academies’ Space Studies Board. He was a member of the L-3 Communications, Inc. Board of Directors (2003-2019). In 2020, he was appointed Graduate Student Advocate to work as a liaison between department leadership and students.
Awards & Honors
- 2017 // Basic Sciences Award of the International Academy of Astronautics
- 2013 // Vice President of MIT
- 2004 // Fellow of the American Academy of Arts & Sciences
- 2003 // Decoration for Meritorious Civilian Service to the United States Air Force
- 2002-13 // Associate Provost and Vice President for Research
- 2001 // NASA Public Service Medal for Chandra
- 2001 // NASA Public Service Medal for Service
- 1997-2021 // Bruno B. Rossi Distinguished Professor in Experimental Physics
- 1997 // Goddard Medal of the American Astronautical Society
- 1996 // Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 1996 // International Academy of Astronautics
- 1993 // National Academy of Sciences
- 1990-2002 // Director of MIT's Center for Space Research (now known as the MIT Kavli Institute for Astrophysics and Space Research)
- 1989 // Fellow of the American Physical Society for "pioneering investigations in x-ray astrophysics, particularly in the analysis of astrophysical plasmas by high-resolution x-ray spectroscopy"
A Census of Baryons and Dark Matter in an Isolated; Milky Way,sized Elliptical Galaxy P.H. Humphrey; D.A. Boute; C.R. Canizares; A.C. Fabian; J. M. Miller; (2011) Astrophysical Journal 729; 53.
A Census of X,ray gas in NGC 1068: Results from 450ks of Chandra HETG Observation T. Kallman; D. A. Evans; H. Marshall; C. Canizares; A. Longinotti; M. Nowak; N. Schulz; (2014) Astrophysical Journal 780; 121.
Are the Effects of Structure Formation Seen in the Central Metalicity of Galaxy Clusters? Tamer Y. Elkholy; Mark W. Bautz; Claude R. Canizares; (2015) Astrophysical Journal 805; 3.