A. Nihat Berker '71
Nihat Berker is best known for his research in statistical mechanics; especially on phase transitions applying renormalization group theory; with applications to surface physics and materials with defects.
After graduating from Robert College; Nihat Berker received BS degrees in physics and chemistry from MIT in 1971. Nihat Berker received his PhD in physics at the University of Illinois in 1977. In 1988 he became a full professor of theoretical physics at MIT. Since 1999 he served as a professor and dean of the School of Sciences and Letters at Istanbul Technical University. After losing the president (rector) elections made in ITU; he left Istanbul Technical University. Between 2005 and 2009 he worked as a professor of physics at Koc University; Istanbul; after which he moved to Sabanci University. Currently he is the president of Sabanci University; Istanbul.
Awards & Honors
- 2007 // Humboldt Research Award
- 1996 // Outstanding Turkish Scientist Citation, Turkish Academy of Sciences
- 1994 // MIT School of Science Teaching Prize for Excellence in Graduate Education
- 1988 // American Physical Society Fellow (APS) "For the development of the position space renormalization group technique and its application to studies of phase transitions in physisorbed systems and liquid crystals."
- 1988 // Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey Science Award
- 1987 // Buechner Teaching Prize, MIT Physics Department
- 1981 // Sloan Research Fellowship